[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] design for an accurate ODR-checker with clang

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Mon Jul 15 15:42:39 PDT 2013

On Jul 15, 2013, at 3:20 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2013, at 6:13 PM, Nick Lewycky <nlewycky at google.com> wrote:
>> On 11 July 2013 18:02, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 11, 2013, at 5:45 PM, Nick Lewycky <nlewycky at google.com> wrote:
>> > Hi! A few of us over at Google think a nice feature in clang would be ODR violation checking, and we thought for a while about how to do this and wrote it down, but we aren't actively working on it at the moment nor plan to in the near future. I'm posting this to share our design and hopefully save anyone else the design work if they're interested in it.
>> >
>> > For some background, C++'s ODR rule roughly means that two definitions of the same symbol must come from "the same tokens with the same interpretation". Given the same token stream, the interpretation can be different due to different name lookup results, or different types through typedefs or using declarations, or due to a different point of instantiation in two translation units.
>> >
>> > Unlike existing approaches (the ODR checker in the gold linker for example), clang lets us do this with no false positives and very few false negatives. The basis of the idea is that we produce a hash of all the ODR-relevant pieces, and to try to pick the largest possible granularity. By granularity I mean that we would hash the entire definition of a class including all methods defined lexically inline and emit a single value for that class.
>> >
>> > The first step is to build a new visitor over the clang AST that calculates a hash of the ODR-relevant pieces of the code. (StmtProfiler doesn’t work here because it includes pointers addresses which will be different across different translation units.) Hash the outermost declaration with external-linkage. For example, given a class with a method defined inline, we start the visitor at the class, not at the method. The entirety of the class must be ODR-equivalent across two translation units, including any inline methods.
>> >
>> > Although the standard mentions that the tokens must be the same, we do not actually include the tokens in the hash. The structure of the AST includes everything about the code which is semantically relevant. Any false positives that would be fixed by hashing the tokens either do not impact the behaviour of the program or could be fixed by hashing more of the AST. References to globals should be hashed by name, but references to locals should be hashed by an ordinal number.
>> >
>> > Instantiated templates are also visited by the hashing visitor. If we did not, we would have false negatives where the code is not conforming due to different points of instantiation in two translation units. We can skip uninstantiated templates since they don’t affect the behaviour of the program, and we need to visit the instantiations regardless.

> [...]

Mmm.  So you want to warn the user that two libraries using different assertion settings both use the standard library?

I think warning about actual differences in code, as opposed to differences in type/vtable layout, is going to be pretty fraught with uninteresting positives, but if you want to chase that rabbit, it's your time spent.

Anyway, you only need to hash in function bodies for inline functions unless this is also an ELF abuse dectector.  (*Whether* a function is inline seems like a legitimate thing to hash for the function signature.)

John.