[LLVMdev] [Proposal] Parallelize post-IPO stage.

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Sun Jul 14 17:57:29 PDT 2013

On Jul 12, 2013, at 3:49 PM, Shuxin Yang <shuxin.llvm at gmail.com> wrote:

> 6) Miscellaneous
> ===========
>   Will partitioning degrade performance in theory.  I think it depends on the definition of
> performance.  If performance means execution-time, I guess it dose not.
> However, if performance includes code-size, I think it may have some negative impact.
> Following is few scenario:
>
>   - constants generated by the post-IPO passes are not shared across partitions
>   - dead func may be detected during the post-IPO stage, and they may not be deleted.

In don't know if it's feasible, but stable linker output, independent of the partioning, is highly desirable. One of the most irritating performance regressions to track down involves different versions of the host linker. If partitioning decisions are thrown into the mix, this could be annoying. Is it possible for the final link to do a better job cleaning up?

-Andy