[LLVMdev] MI Scheduler vs SD Scheduler?

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Fri Jul 12 00:58:01 PDT 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 2:35 PM, Ghassan Shobaki <ghassan_shobaki at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the answers! We are currently trying to test the MI scheduler. We are using LLVM 3.3 with Dragon Egg 3.3 on an x86-64 machine. So far, we have run one SPEC CPU2006 test with the MI scheduler enabled using the option -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-option='-enable-misched:true' with -O3. This enables the machine scheduler in addition to the SD scheduler. We have verified this by adding print messages to the source code of both schedulers. In terms of correctness, enabling the MI scheduler did not cause any failure. However, in terms of performance, we have seen a mix of small positive and negative differences with the geometric mean difference being near zero. The maximum improvement that we have seen is 3% on the Gromacs benchmark.  Is this consistent with your test results?

I haven’t benchmarked fortran. On x86-64, I regularly see wild swings in performance, 10-20% for small codegen changes (small benchmarks with a primary hot loop). This is not a natural consequence of scheduling, unless spill code changed in the hot loop (rare on x86-64). Quite often, a somewhat random change in copy coalescing results in different register allocation and code layout. The results are chaotic and very platform (linker) and microarchitecture specific. Large benchmarks are immune to wild swings, but the small changes you see could just be the accumulation of chaotic behavior of individual loops. It’s hard for me to draw conclusions without looking at hardware counters and isolating the data to individual loops.

The MI scheduler’s generic heuristics are much more about avoiding worst-case scheduling in pathological situations (very large unrolled loops) than it is about tuning for a microarchitecture. People who want to do that may want to plugin their own scheduling strategy. The precise machine model and register pressure information is all there now.

The broadest statement I can make is that we should not unnecessarily spill within loops (with rare exceptions). If you see that, file a bug. I know there are still situations that we don’t handle well, but haven’t had a compelling enough reason to add the complexity to the generic heuristics. If good test cases come in, then I’ll do that.

> We have then tried to run a test in which the MI scheduler is enabled but the SD scheduler is disabled (or neutralized) by adding the option: -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-option='-pre-RA-sched:source' to the flags that we have used in the first test. However, this did not work; we got the following error message:
>
> GCC_4.6.4_DIR/install/bin/gcc -c -o lbm.o -DSPEC_CPU -DNDEBUG    -O3 -march=core2 -mtune=core2 -fplugin='DRAGON_EGG_DIR/dragonegg.so' -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-option='-enable-misched:true' -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-llvm-option='-pre-RA-sched:source'       -DSPEC_CPU_LP64         lbm.c
> cc1: for the -pre-RA-sched option: may only occur zero or one times!
> specmake: *** [lbm.o] Error 1
>
> What does this message mean?
> Is this a bug or we are doing something wrong?

I’m not sure why the driver is telling you this. Maybe someone familiar with dragonegg can help?

You can always rebuild llvm with the enableMachineScheduler() hook implemented.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/63242/match=machinescheduler

Then -enable-misched=true/false simply toggles MI Sched without changing anything else.

> How can we test the MI scheduler by itself?
> Is it interesting to test 3.3 or there are interesting features that were added to the trunk after branching 3.3? In the latter case, we are willing to test the trunk.

It doesn’t look like my June checkins made it into 3.3. If you’re enabling MI Sched, and actually evaluating performance of the default heuristics, then it’s best to use trunk.

-Andy