[LLVMdev] [RFC] Fix leading and trailing spaces

Ondřej Bílka neleai at seznam.cz
Mon Jul 8 23:05:24 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 04:14:40PM -0700, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Ondřej Bílka <neleai at seznam.cz> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am writing tool to simplify automated refactorings. One of
> > prerequisites is have clean codebase, so a refactorer can be simple and
> > created formatting inconsistencies can be eliminated by formatter.
>
> Cool.
>
> > My plan to keep codebase clean is first run a cleanup systemwide, then
> > keep it by hook/ periodicaly rerunning cleanup.
>
> Please don't do this.  We don't like widespread changes like this, they make svn archeology more difficult.

Please use git. It has many features that svn lacks git blame -w is one
of those.

Also this change is not because these spaces are inconsistent but
because they cause problems.

When you do a diff with some spaces followed by tabs then formatting can
get weird because tab shifted. Also with trailing spaces and long line
it will wrap to new line which will look empty.

But as I looked most of lines that I changed are empty anyway so we do
not lose much of history.