[LLVMdev] Host compiler requirements: Dropping VS 2008, using C++11?

Ahmed Bougacha ahmed.bougacha at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 09:05:43 PDT 2013

Hi all,

A few days ago, there was a report of LLVM not compiling on VS 2008,
because of asymmetric std::lower_bound comparators not supported
there.

As noted by a few people, maybe it's time to drop VS 2008
compatibility and move the requirements to VS 2010?

While there, what about going further and starting using C++11? Now
seems as good a time as ever; my takeaway from that few months old
discussion was that once 3.3 is released, it would be reasonable to
start using features supported by VS2010 / gcc-4.4 / clang-3.1. That
would be now, are there any objections left?

-- Ahmed

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:

> > There is some historical precedence for fixing the problem with VS
> > lower_bound by changing the LLVM source - when I first got LLVM to compile
> > with Visual Studio, patches for unsymmetric operator < were accepted into
> > the LLVM repo, and I believe it's been done several times after that as
> > well.
>
> In the C++11 discussion back in January
> (http://llvm.1065342.n5.nabble.com/Using-C-11-language-features-in-LLVM-itself-td53319.html)
> there seemed to be some kind of consensus for 2010 being a reasonable
> minimum. Perhaps this is a good time to break compatibility
> officially.
>
> Actually, whatever did happen to using C++11? No-one mentioned
> anything about it after that thread.

Valid points, raised in the commit thread. Changed the subject to get
people's attention!