[LLVMdev] CallGraph in immutable pass

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Jul 4 02:13:29 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 2:09 AM, Robert Baručák
<xbaruc00 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz>wrote:

> On 07/03/2013 06:18 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>

>> Your understanding is correct -- this is impossible. What are you really
>> trying to do?
>>
>>  I'm working on implementation of some fancier alias analysis algorithm.
> I have experienced strange behavior when I registered my AA (as module
> pass) into AA group. Somehow I was unable to get correct DataLayout from AA
> interface. So I wanted to try to make it immutable, just like other AA
> implementations.
> Anyway, thanks for clarification.

Currently, LLVM's pass manager infrastructure and especially the immutable
pass based alias analysis group makes stateful alias analyses essentially
impossible to do well, and largely require gross hacks. There is a thread I
started many months ago about revamping the pass management in LLVM, and
this is one motivating concern although not my primary concern.