[LLVMdev] Advices Required: Best practice to share logic between DAG combine and target lowering?

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 13:45:12 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Quentin Colombet <qcolombet at apple.com>wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:52 AM, Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Quentin Colombet <qcolombet at apple.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> ** Problematic **
>> I am looking for advices to share some logic between DAG combine and
>> target lowering.
>>
>> Basically, I need to know if a bitcast that is about to be inserted
>> during target specific isel lowering will be eliminated during DAG combine.
>>
>> Let me know if there is another, better supported, approach for this kind
>> of problems.
>>
>> ** Motivating Example **
>> The motivating example comes form the lowering of vector code on armv7.
>> More specifically, the build_vector node is lowered to a target specific
>> ARMISD::build_vector where all the parameters are bitcasted to floating
>> point types.
>>
>> This works well, unless the inserted bitcasts survive until instruction
>> selection. In that case, they incur moves between integer unit and floating
>> point unit that may result in inefficient code.
>>
>> Attached motivating_example.ll shows such a case:
>> llc -O3 -mtriple thumbv7-apple-ios3 motivating_example.ll -o -
>> ldr r0, [r1]
>> ldr r1, [r2]
>> vmov s1, r1
>> vmov s0, r0
>> Here each ldr, vmov sequences could have been replaced by a simple
>> vld1.32.
>>
>> ** Proposed Solution **
>> Lower to more vector friendly code (using a sequence of
>> insert_vector_elt), when bit casts will not be free.
>> The attached patch demonstrates that, but is missing the proper check to
>> know what DAG combine will do (see TODO).
>>

> I think you're approaching this backwards: the obvious thing to do is to
> generate the insert_vector_elt sequence unconditionally, and DAGCombine
> that sequence to a build_vector when appropriate.
>
> Hi Eli,
>
> I have started to look into the direction you gave me.
>
> I may have miss something but I do not see how the proposed direction
> solves the issue. Indeed to be able to DAGCombine a insert_vector_elt
> sequences into a ARMISD::build_vector, I still need to know if it would be
> profitable, i.e., if DAGCombine will remove the bitcasts that
> combining/lowering is about to insert.
>
> Since target specific DAGCombine are also done in TargetLowering I do not
> have access to more DAGCombine logic (at least DAGCombineInfo is not
> providing the require information).
>
> What did I miss?

Err, wait, sorry, my fault; I missed that you only insert the bitcasts on
the other side of the branch.

You should be able to do it the other way, though: generate the
build_vector unconditionally, and pull insert_vector_elts out of it in a
DAGCombine.  (At this point, you know whether DAGCombine will remove the
bit casts because if it could, it would have already done it.)

-Eli