[LLVMdev] ANNOUNCEMENT: Removing list prefix

Nuno Lopes nunoplopes at sapo.pt
Wed Jan 30 01:37:43 PST 2013

Quoting Eli Bendersky <eliben at google.com>:

>>> Thanks Tanya, this makes the subject lines of the commits a lot more
>>> accessible.
>>>
>>> Tobi
>>

>> Please let me state my opinion against this change.
>> Due to the heavy traffic on LLVM mailing lists, one needs some kind of
>> filtering to keep only the relevant emails in the inbox.  Since my ISP's
>> email server doesn't support any server-side email filtering, I used to
>> filter the e-mails visually. It was easy to ignore emails with the subject
>> prefixed with LLVM or cfe (or both).
>> Right now I can only see 200 emails in my inbox and I cannot distinguish
>> between them.
>>
>> I personally also preferred the file names in the subject, since that
>> allowed me to visually filter the commits in my areas.  However, if we all
>> start prefixing the commit messages with the area (as some already do), this
>> problem is gone.
>>

> Could you clarify your situation? Can't you look at a message's
> headers and see which mailing list it's addressed to / came from? That
> enables setting up client filters to sort messages into folders /
> apply filters, etc.

My point was that not everyone uses gmail nor everyone has access to
nice email servers that perform server-side filtering.
Of course I can do all these things in the client, but my webmail
client is dumb.  So this change is very frustrating to me since I
cannot *visually* filter LLVM emails anymore (and by visually I mean
reading the prefix of the subjects).

I'm usually absent from bikeshedding discussions, but this time I'm
really frustrated with the change..

Nuno