[LLVMdev] ANNOUNCEMENT: Removing list prefix

Nuno Lopes nunoplopes at sapo.pt
Tue Jan 29 12:11:54 PST 2013

> On 01/28/2013 07:45 PM, Tanya Lattner wrote:
>> I will be removing the list prefix "LLVMDev" from the subject line. If
>> you are filtering by this, please use the list headers instead.
>>
>> If you have any questions, please let me know.
>
> Thanks Tanya, this makes the subject lines of the commits a lot more
> accessible.
>
> Tobi

Please let me state my opinion against this change.
Due to the heavy traffic on LLVM mailing lists, one needs some kind of
filtering to keep only the relevant emails in the inbox.  Since my ISP's
email server doesn't support any server-side email filtering, I used to
filter the e-mails visually. It was easy to ignore emails with the subject
prefixed with LLVM or cfe (or both).
Right now I can only see 200 emails in my inbox and I cannot distinguish
between them.

I personally also preferred the file names in the subject, since that
allowed me to visually filter the commits in my areas.  However, if we all
start prefixing the commit messages with the area (as some already do), this
problem is gone.

Nuno