[LLVMdev] LoopVectorizer in OpenCL C work group autovectorization

Pekka Jääskeläinen pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi
Fri Jan 25 03:35:16 PST 2013

On 01/25/2013 09:56 AM, Nadav Rotem wrote:
> Thanks for checking the Loop Vectorizer, I am interested in hearing your
> feedback. The Loop Vectorizer does not fit here. OpenCL vectorization is
> completely different because the language itself is data-parallel. You
> don't need all of the legality checks that the loop vectorizer has.

I'm aware of this and it was my point in the original post.
However, I do not see why the loop vectorizer wouldn't fit
this use case given how the pocl's "kernel compiler" is structured.

How I see it, the data parallel input simply makes the vectorizer's job
easier (skip some of the legality checks) while reusing most of the
implementation (e.g. cost estimation, unrolling decisions, the
vector instruction formation itself, predication/if-conversion,
speculative execution+blend, etc.).

Now pocl's kernel compiler detects the "parallel regions" (the
regions between work group barriers) and generates a new function suitable
for executing multiple work items (WI) in the work group. One method to
generate such functions is to generate embarrassingly parallel "for-loops"
(wiloops) that produce the multi-WI DLP execution. That is, the loop
executes the code in the parallel regions for each work item in the work
group.

This step is needed to make the multi-WI kernel executable on
non-SIMD/SIMT platforms (read: CPUs). On the "SPMD-tailored" processors
(many GPUs) this step is not always necessary as they can input the single
kernel instructions and do the "spreading" on the fly. We have a different
method to generate the WG functions for such targets.

> Moreover, OpenCL has lots of language specific APIs such as
> "get_global_id" and builtin function calls, and without knowledge of these
> calls it is impossible to vectorize OpenCL.

In pocl the whole kernel is "flattened", that is, the processed kernel code
does not usually have function calls. Well, printf() and some intrisics
calls might be exceptions. In such cases the vectorization could be
simply not done and the parallelization can be attempted using some other
method (e.g. pure unrolling), like usual.

get_local_id is converted to regular iteration variables (local id space x,
y,z) in the wiloop.

I played yesterday a bit by kludge-hacking the LoopVectorizer code to
skip the canVectorizeMemory() check for these wiloop constructs and it
managed to vectorize a kernel as expected.

> You need to implement something like Whole Function Vectorization
> (http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2190061). The loop vectorizer can't
> help you here. Ralf Karrenberg open sourced his implementation on github.
> You should take a look.

I think the WFV paper has plenty of good ideas that could be applied to
*improve* the vectorizability of DLP code/parallel loops (e.g. the mask
generation for diverging branches where the traditional if-conversion won't
do, especially intra kernel for-loops), but the actual vectorization
could be modularized to generic passes to, e.g., allow the choice of
target-specific parallelization methods later on.

--
Pekka