[LLVMdev] Initial thoughts on an LLVM backend for N-address generic assembly

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:35:55 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM, <nkavv at physics.auth.gr> wrote:

> Hi Justin
>
> I just came across your presentation regarding the LLVM 3.0 (?) PTX
> backend:
> http://llvm.org/devmtg/2011-**11/Holewinski_PTXBackend.pdf<http://llvm.org/devmtg/2011-11/Holewinski_PTXBackend.pdf>
>
> Is this the NVPTX backend or the predecessor (in PTX? directory) backend?

It's the predecessor (removed in 3.1), but most of the concepts are the
same.  The short version of the history is that I developed the original
PTX back-end with a few other people (PTX back-end in 3.0/3.1) and it was
later replaced by the NVIDIA version of the back-end around May of 2012.

The NVIDIA version is a much more complete version, as it is actually used
in production compilers as opposed to being a small university project. :)

--

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski