[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: put commit messages in *-commits subject lines?
edwin.vane at intel.com
Thu Jan 24 05:28:02 PST 2013
Is anybody working on this? If not, where might one start looking to fix this?
From: llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu [mailto:llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu] On Behalf Of David Blaikie
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:52 PM
To: Sebastian Pop
Cc: cfe-dev at cs.uiuc.edu Developers; llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: put commit messages in *-commits subject lines?
Bump for something that would be good to do.
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Sebastian Pop <spop at codeaurora.org> wrote:
> David Blaikie wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Sebastian Pop <spop at codeaurora.org> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > Sebastian Pop wrote:
>> >> Chris Lattner wrote:
>> >> > I'm in favor of it. Of course, the truly awesomest thing would be something like:
>> >> >
>> >> > [cfe-commits] r167788 - [lib/Analysis] Fix bad CFG construction bug when handling C++ 'try' statements.
>> >> commit_subject_template = %(prefix)s r%(revision)s - %(log)s
Using r172358 as an example (a moderately large commit chosen otherwise at random), the current commit message subject is:
[llvm-commits] [llvm] r172358 - in /llvm/trunk:
include/llvm/Object/RelocVisitor.h include/llvm/Support/YAMLTraits.h lib/Analysis/ValueTracking.cpp lib/MC/ELFObjectWriter.cpp lib/MC/WinCOFFObjectWriter.cpp lib/Support/APFloat.cpp lib/Support/DynamicLibrary.cpp lib/Target/R600/AMDGPUSubtarget.h lib/Target/R600/AMDILDevice.h lib/Target/R600/AMDILPeepholeOptimizer.cpp
lib/Transforms/IPO/DeadArgumentElimination.cpp (and on and on)
So I assume the new message would be:
[llvm-commits] [llvm] r172358 - Remove redundant 'llvm::' qualifications
Which seems reasonable. (I think the repo prefix is helpful given that both the Clang and LLVM lists handle mail for multiple repositories (llvm + compiler-rt + zorg at least on the llvm-commits list, cfe +
libc++ on the cfe-commits list). Unless we could drop the prefix for
the common repo (llvm and cfe respectively) & add it in only for the other repos)
I wouldn't mind some way to drop the mailing list prefix too, given how I organize my email - but I don't suppose there's a nice way to do that that wouldn't interfere with other people's workflows.
>> > I just realized that this line does not match Chris' subject line
>> > as it doesn't print the directories touched by the patch. Please use the following instead:
>> > commit_subject_template = %(prefix)s r%(revision)s - [%(dirs)s]
>> > %(log)s
[llvm-commits] [llvm] r172358 - [include/llvm/ADT include/llvm/Analysis include/llvm/Object include/llvm/Support lib/Analysis lib/MC lib/Target lib/Transforms ...] Remove redundant 'llvm::' qualifications
I suppose this isn't the best example - of course it'll be across lots of directories. But even for more common commits (working in one area
- changing headers, library, and tests all together) would contain a lot of redundant information in the "dirs" list.
>> For what it's worth, (I think) Chris' suggestion of including the
>> directories was about including them "smart"ly by removing conceptual
>> duplicates (lib/foo + include/foo + test/foo) and generally giving a
>> brief sense of what a change is touching. If the change you have adds
>> the full (repo-relative) path all the directories without any smart
>> deduplication then I suspect it's going to easily push the log
>> description off most mail readers (especially mobile) & reduce the
>> value of this change.
>> I suspect we'll want to just stick with revision + log for now.
> That's fine. Alternatively we can provide a list of all the dirs that
> we want to see appearing and match them like this:
> for_paths =
> commit_subject_template = %(prefix)s r%(revision)s - [%(SelectDirs)s]
Could we go one step further and map these paths to names (eg: map "lib/Analysis", "include/llvm/Analysis", "test/Analysis" -> "Analysis"
and unique the results)? Also, I'd prefer to have the dirs after the log message I think, though perhaps if we get them short enough it'd work.
This solution does seem like it could involve a bit of manual work to update the list of blessed dirs all the time. If we could express it generically (lib/*, test/*, include/llvm/*) it might be OK, but as it stands I'm still not sure it's worth the hassle.
>> What's the prefix? There was some discussion of dropping the
>> [cfe-commits] & similar prefixes. Can that be done? Do we need to get
>> more buy-in from mailing list users to make sure this won't break
>> their mail rules (there are other ways to identify mailing list mail
>> other than the prefix, but I'm just checking).
>> Do you have some examples of what the format you're suggesting would
>> look like for various real-world commits?
> I suppose that the current subject format is the default of svn-mailer
> that is from the documentation:
> %(prefix)s r%(revision)s %(part)s - %(files/dirs)s
> I think that this matches exactly what I can see on the commits
> mailing lists, except for the %(part)s part that I haven't seen so
> far: probably we do not split large emails.
> I did some tests on my local machine, and with the patched version of
> svnmailer, it does extract correctly the first line of the log message
> for all the commits that I have looked at.
> Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,
> hosted by The Linux Foundation
LLVM Developers mailing list
LLVMdev at cs.uiuc.edu http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu
More information about the llvm-dev