[LLVMdev] RFC: Improving our DWARF (and ELF) emission testing capabilities

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Tue Jan 22 20:18:35 PST 2013

On Jan 18, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at google.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> While working on some recent patches for x32 support, I ran into an
> unpleasant limitation the LLVM eco-system has with testing DWARF
> emission. We currently have several approaches, neither of which is
> great:
>
> 1. llvm-dwarfdump: the best approach when it works. But unfortunately
> lib/DebugInfo supports only a (small) subset of DWARF. Tricky sections
> like debug_frame aren't supported.
> 2. Relying of assembly directive emissions (i.e. .cfi_*), which is
> cumbersome and misses a lot of things like actual DWARF encoding.
> 3. Using elf-dump and examining the raw binary dumps. This makes tests
> nearly unmaintainable.
>
> The latter is also why IMHO our ELF emission in general isn't well
> tested. elf-dump is just too rudimentary and relies on simple (=dumb)
> binary contents dumps.
>
> The long-term solution for DWARF would be to enhance lib/DebugInfo to
> the point where it can handle all interesting DWARF sections. But this
> is a lofty goal, since DWARF parsing is notoriously hard and this
> would require a large investment of time and effort. And in the
> meantime, we just don't write good enough tests (and enough of them)
> for this very important feature.

I'm pretty I made Benjamin K. started on lib/DebugInfo. :-) There were two primary motivations for lib/DebugInfo 1) to add source debug info capability to llvm disassembler, and 2) to migrate LLDB's dwarf parsing to LLVM (to ease sharing). I suspect that migration wasn't quite complete (and / or LLDB's DWARF parsing has since improved). Anyway, IMO the best step forward to continue to migrate LLDB's DWARF parsing library over and make it fully featured.

Evan