[LLVMdev] RFC: Improving our DWARF (and ELF) emission testing capabilities

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:33:11 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Robinson, Paul
<Paul.Robinson at am.sony.com> wrote:
> David Blaikie [dblaikie at gmail.com] wrote:

>>> Hmmm. "Proper" testing would exercise each component involved, as well
>>> as possibly longer paths that maybe are not exactly the sum of the parts.
>>> Debug info changes are quite likely to involve most or all of:
>>> - Clang's C/C++ to IR (metadata)
>>
>> Simple enough: changes to Clang require tests in Clang (OK, so there's
>> no mechanism in place to avoid tests in Clang testing optimization,
>> for example, but we try to be good about it)
>>
>>> - LLVM's IR to assembler source
>>> - assembler source to object file
>>> - LLVM's IR to object file (which partly bypasses or can be different
>>>   from the previous two paths)
>>
>> & these generally go in LLVM - yeah, they could be separate, but I'd
>> expect the assembler and object file emission to be tested separately
>> already - the only benefit to testing particular IR->object &
>> separately testing particular IR->assembly is probably not worthwhile.
>
> I cite PR13303/PR14524, where asm and direct-object output differ.
> This came up early in my LLVM career and has doubtless poisoned my
> outlook for life....
>
> In many cases I think the same test _source_ can be used to check both
> asm and object, with appropriate RUN lines, and whether you want to
> count that as the same or separate depends on how you like to game the
> counts.  What matters to me is both paths get tested.

Sure - I'd just rather see these separated into object emission/asm
tests if possible, rather than littering the other test cases with two
modes each. I assume the code is sufficiently factored such that
testing in this way would be generally fairly reliable (ie: I hope we
can hit the same code paths that produce .byte from debug info as
would produce it from anywhere else in the backend and just test that
once directly)