[LLVMdev] RFC: Improving our DWARF (and ELF) emission testing capabilities

Eli Bendersky eliben at google.com
Tue Jan 22 15:13:35 PST 2013

>>> Can you clarify/elaborate on this last sentence?
>>>
>> Sure. People are updating, modifying and adding new tests that use
>> elf-dump and not updating, modifying or fixing llvm-objdump to test the
>> same thing.
>
> Speaking as a relative newbie, I don't see any way to know that elf-dump
> is deprecated in favor of llvm-objdump; neither of them are mentioned
> anywhere on the website.  Nor is llvm-dwarfdump for that matter.

By the very nature of elf-dump's output, I would expect anyone (even a
newbie) to look for an alternative (examples in other tests) or at
least ask on the mailing list and/or IRC. Moreover, hopefully folks
knowledgeable about this area would react on a patch that does
something that could be done better.

> D'you think there could be some mention of these on the Command Guide
> or Testing Infrastructure Guide pages?

Yes!

> http://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/index.html
> http://llvm.org/docs/TestingGuide.html
> (Yeah, yeah, I know, "patches welcome.")

And, I will add, "appreciated".

Eli