[LLVMdev] Chromebook: floating point constant invalid for type

Renato Golin Linaro renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Jan 17 07:17:59 PST 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile LLVM on the Chromebook and it was all ok last week,
but now I keep getting this error:

opt: <stdin>:56:15: error: floating point constant invalid for type
  store float 1.0, float* %tmpcast2, align 4

Searching the list, I found that it has to do with how LLVM represents
floating points in the IR, and frankly, I'm at a loss. Above, opt seems to
be requiring an hexa literal, while the error below is requiring the
numeric literal:

2011-11-11-EmptyStruct.ll:10:10: error: expected string not found in input
; CHECK: ret double 1.0
         ^
<stdin>:4:23: note: scanning from here
define double @test() nounwind uwtable ssp {
                      ^
<stdin>:6:2: note: possible intended match here
 ret double 0x3FF7ED38F90
 ^

The post I found about this issue said things about 32-bit float being
represented by 64-bit literals, which doesn't help matters.

I'm configuring it with the same line as the buildbots, the ABI is the same
and everything. The Ubuntu distribution is slightly different, so that
might be doing some evil.

Any pointers?

cheers,
--renato