[LLVMdev] Failure building llvm/clang from source using binary clang package on Mageia 2

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Sat Jan 12 14:59:16 PST 2013

On 01/09/2013 10:37 AM, Dmitri Gribenko wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Edward Diener
> <eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com>  wrote:
>> After applying your patch on Mageia 2 and invoking llvm's configure:
>>
>> Using clang 3.0 I get:
>>
>> "checking whether clang works... no
>> configure: error: Selected compiler could not find or parse C++ standard
>> library headers.  Rerun with CC=c-compiler CXX=c++-compiler ./configure ..."
>>
>> Using gcc, there is no error.
>>
>> After applying your patch on Fedora 17 and invoking llvm's configure:
>>
>> Using clang 3.0 I get:
>>
>> "checking whether clang works... no
>> configure: error: Selected compiler could not find or parse C++ standard
>> library headers.  Rerun with CC=c-compiler CXX=c++-compiler ./configure ..."
>>
>> Using gcc, there is no error.
>>
>> After applying your patch on Suse 12.2 and invoking llvm's configure:
>>
>> Using clang 3.1, which has previously worked, there is no error.
>>
>> So it looks to me, based on my tests, that your patch is successful. I look
>> forward to this update in llvm on subversion.
>
> I've committed a slightly different variant of this patch r171975.
>
> Thank you for testing!

Unfortunately, after an attempt to use the latest 'configure' update on
CentOS 6.3 I think your version may be slightly flawed.

I had been able to build clang from source on CentOS 6.3 using clang
2.8-14 that is distributed as a binary. After your update, however, when
I run llvm/configure I receive:

checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether clang accepts -g... yes
checking for clang option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking whether clang++ accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... clang -E
checking whether clang works... no
configure: error: Selected compiler could not find or parse C++ standard
library headers.  Rerun with CC=c-compiler CXX=c++-compiler ./configure ...

When I run 'clang -v -fsyntax-only -x c++ /dev/null' I get:

"clang version 2.8 (branches/release_28)
Target: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
  "/usr/bin/clang" -cc1 -triple x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu -fsyntax-only
-disable-free -disable-llvm-verifier -main-file-name null
-mrelocation-model static -mdisable-fp-elim -mconstructor-aliases
-munwind-tables -target-cpu x86-64 -target-linker-version 2.20.51.0.2 -v
-resource-dir /usr/lib/clang/2.8 -ferror-limit 19 -fmessage-length 144
-fexceptions -fgnu-runtime -fdiagnostics-show-option -fcolor-diagnostics
-x c++ /dev/null
clang -cc1 version 2.8 based upon llvm 2.8 hosted on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
  /usr/include/c++/4.4.4
  /usr/include/c++/4.4.4/x86_64-redhat-linux
  /usr/include/c++/4.4.4/backward
  /usr/local/include
  /usr/lib/clang/2.8/include
  /usr/include
  /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.4.4/include
End of search list."

It looks to me that clang 2.8-14 does indeed find the necessary header
files. Yet you are rejecting it. Also it did build clang successfully
before your update.

Finally when I ran 'gmake -j4' and the llvm/configure fails, the 'gmake'
does not appear to ever end even if it prints out nothing further to the
console screen.