[LLVMdev] Obsolete PTX is NOT completely removed in 3.2 release

Pawel Wodnicki root at 32bitmicro.com
Fri Jan 11 15:19:55 PST 2013

On 1/11/2013 3:59 PM, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 02:47:01PM -0600, Pawel Wodnicki wrote:
>> On 1/11/2013 2:40 PM, Brooks Davis wrote:

>>> I finally updated the FreeBSD ports yesterday and today a user
>>>  complained about distfile changes.  IMO, this revision should
>>> be reverted or all the other BSDs will have to chase checksums
>>> as well.
>>>
>>> If you really want to remove the directory, ship a 3.2.1
>>> tarball rather than screwing all the downstream consumers who's
>>>  infrastructure exists to detect trojan'd tarballs.
>>
>> Tarball is signed, it is not trjoan. Your infrastructure should
>> be able to deal with it?
>
> The FreeBSD ports collection maintains a set of sha256 hashes for
> each distfile.  The system can deal with them changing, but it's
> an inconvenience to port maintainers and users.  Even if we did
> have infrastructure to verify the signatures we'd still have to
> check the contents and would not just trust the signature since
> there's always a risk of keys being compromised.

 Since you do not use llvm.org security features (signatures) I think
understanding your process will be useful to whoever is doing the next
release. I would suggest communicating it early in the release cycle.

 As for the inconvenience with the 3.2, I really do not have a choice
under current release process. Changes have been made in the SVN
branches and tarball has to reflect that.

> -- Brooks

Paweł