[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Daniels, Marcus G mdaniels at lanl.gov
Fri Jan 11 09:50:17 PST 2013

On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:02 AM, <dag at cray.com>
 wrote:

> "Daniels, Marcus G" <mdaniels at lanl.gov> writes:
>
>> Anyway, I thought the question here amounted to how to ensure that
>> people can make binaries of LLVM libraries and a working clang
>> executable on Windows.
>
> No, it's more than that.  Many (most?) groups integrate clang and/or
> llvm libraries into larger projects.

So it's not a problem that the C++ ABI mapping between clang and MSVC isn't quite perfect, but it is a problem if the compiled form of the library isn't embeddable in MSVC projects?   Once you've got the MSVC-built library, you can't blindly count on using in conjunction with other MSVC generated things.   I could see there are examples where this wouldn't matter like OpenCL implementations.   If there is a desire to close the loop (a Windows hosted clang that is interoperable with MSVC), it is in some sense useful if Mingw or clang generated object code doesn't quite mimic MSVC.  That will provide further motive to examine the issues.

Marcus