[LLVMdev] adding IR attributes to llvm

Reed Kotler rkotler at mips.com
Fri Jan 11 07:35:04 PST 2013

Yes, you could have mips16 and fastcc.

Mips16 just means that processor mode to execute that function is "mips16".
So in a mips16 designated function, I will just emit mips16 instructions
and in a "nomips16"
function, just emit normal mips32 instructions.

I tend to call this "mips32" normal mode, "standard encoding" because in
reality the processor is
mips32 for both "mips16" and "nomips16".

Nomips16 means normal "mips32" mode at this time. (We are mimicking the
way gcc handles
this and there is yet another mode call "micromips" which will
complicate this naming convention
when it gets pushed upstream in gcc soon).

In some senses, attribute(mips16) could be interpretted as a suggestion,
ala "register" variables in C but at this time the attribute is taken
literally in gcc. Ultimately the compiler could chose on it's
own to use mips16 in response to optimization -Os.

Mips16 is really just a compressed instruction encoding (ala thumb1 for
arm) that encodes
instructions in 16 or 32 bits (as opposed to mips32 which encodes them
all in 32 bits).

I think that in reality you will get around a 30% compression by using
mips16, depending on the
profile of the code you are compiling.

mips16 does have some special abi (and hence calling convention
requirements) when the return type is float, double, complex and/or the
first and/possibly second argument is float or double.
the interoperability of mips16 and mips32 creates some issues because
mips16 has no floating point instructions or registers.