[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Michael Spencer bigcheesegs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 05:21:01 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Justin Holewinski
<justin.holewinski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alright, trying to get this conversation back on track...
>
> It seems as though the question to ask is: do the benefits of the C++11
> features we want outweigh the cost of alienating users of older compilers?
> For Mac, the question seems almost moot since clang is a fully-supported
> compiler.  On Linux, it is most often (always?) possible to bootstrap clang
> or a newer GCC, so a baseline like 4.5/4.6 does not seem unreasonable.
> Seems like the same should be true for the BSDs.  It may be a bit of work to
> set up, but it should be a one-time deal.  Once a clang 3.1/3.2 binary is
> available, all is well.  The problem child, so to speak, is Windows.  I
> strongly suggest that support for MSVC *not* be dropped.  There are many
> users out there relying on this support.  That said, I think MSVC 2010 is a
> reasonable target, at least for 3.3.  And then perhaps move to MSVC 2012 for
> 3.4.  That should allow for enough time for users to upgrade.
>
> So, can we limit ourselves to MSVC 2010-level support for 3.3?

I'm happy with this overall. It will let us get started now, we don't
need to jump as far as possible right away. And I don't believe anyone
said that they can't at least use 2010.

We just need a hard decision on minimum supported gcc so we can figure
out _exactly_ what features we can use.

- Michael Spencer