[LLVMdev] Requesting Feedback on my LLVM How-To

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Thu Jan 10 14:28:00 PST 2013

On Jan 10, 2013, at 14:21 , Justin Holewinski <justin.holewinski at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a very nice start!  Do you plan on sandboxing the execution?  It seems like just blindly executing the compiled code could easily crash the application if you have bad IR.  I know that's a bit more advanced, but it would be nice to have some documentation on ways to sandbox the execution for this kind of scenario.

Thanks! I worried about what might happen in the case of bad or rogue code. Are you referring to OS X's sandboxing capabilities, or something LLVM supports? I agree blindly executing code is possibly a bad idea, although the intent is that someone creates a DSL, and so the DSL's code generator would constrain what could really be done. That is, the DSL would not allow the user to arbitrarily execute hosting code, but rather the DSL's runtime could call hosting code. Does that make sense?

--
Rick