[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Thu Jan 10 10:11:48 PST 2013

Pawel Wodnicki <root at 32bitmicro.com> writes:

>  Clang is good enough to bootstrap itself on practically
> any platform I can think of or it can be cross-bootstrapped
> if needed.

You're completely ignoring communities that compile code outside
llvm+clang.  Any compiler chosen by that group has to be able to
correctly compile hundres if not thousands of source code files.  It is
not easy to find such a compiler and that makes it an arduous process to
upgrade.  Of course upgrades are done, but they're done conservatively.

                            -David