[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Peter Newman peter at uformia.com
Wed Jan 9 17:55:55 PST 2013

>> Ok.  Unfortunately, I don't think it makes sense for the general community to bend over backwards to support VC2005 anymore.  We're talking about LLVM 3.3 here (at the earliest), is there a strong reason you couldn't move to VC2010 by whenever you move up to LLVM 3.3?
>>
>> -Chris
> LLVM has not been compatible with VS2005 for a long time.
>
> And as a note to why you can be held back by external software on VS.
> MSVC changes the C++ ABI with every release. If you have a 3rd party
> product with no source access, or you need to dynamically link with a
> specific version of that software, you must use the same VS version if
> you use C++ in the ABI.
>
> - Michael Spencer
Oh I certainly don't expect anyone to keep supporting the ancient VS
2005 compiler. I'm just providing feedback on our usage, as asked. I
personally would think that VS2010 was reasonable to support for future
development though. Due to the C++ ABI changes (particularly their
runtime and memory management), as long as people want to binary
integrate with existing software, they can't upgrade their compiler as
they'd like.

Peter N