[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Tue Jan 8 23:04:13 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 10:44:14PM -0600, greened at obbligato.org wrote:
> Karen Shaeffer <shaeffer at neuralscape.com> writes:
>
> > I am also aware of the way too common problem of folks stuck in a time
> > warp, because they have dependencies on old libraries that they cannot
> > upgrade. IMO, a development effort should not slow the pace of feature
> > adoption to support folks who have not planned for future upgrades in
> > an intelligent manner. Rather than make everyone pay the price for
> > such groups, there ought to be a way for them to use an older release
> > of llvm until they figure out how to upgrade.
>
> That's pretty harsh.  Vendors depend on other vendors.  If suppliers
> don't offer a later version, then either the primary vendor has to
> implement a workaround or the primary vendor has to hold back.  That's
> an important decision that comes up A LOT and the answer is different
> for every situation.

Well it is harsh. I could have stated that better. I consider it analogous
with the linux kernel, where they have a very complex development process
with many sources of stakeholders. The kernel has always pushed in new
features in a timely manner with very high quality standards. They really
have no choice, as new features typically map to new hardware. They have
to keep up. And the solution is simple. They maintain older kernels for
folks who need them. I agree that a policy of pushing in new features in
a timely manner needs to commit to supporting older releases for those
teams that need them.

I hope that clarifies things.

Karen
--