[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Tue Jan 8 16:17:55 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> some version of GCC and later (linux folks should pick?)

4.6 is the official compiler on Ubuntu 12.04 (released 04/2012), which
is the latest Long Term Support release (which come out every 2 years,
with 3 years desktop support and 5 years server support), so I
wouldn't push farther than that on Linux for the time being.

Another thing to bring up is that we have a lot of classes which have
method pairs `foo_begin()` and `foo_end()` (e.g.
`Function::arg_{begin,end}()`). These don't play nice with range-for
loops (we are already seeing this come up in LLD). We probably should
adopt some lightweight "range" class and a naming convention
(`foo_all()`?) that will interact well with range-for. jyasskin, you
have some standards proposals for such a class, maybe you could try
bringing that into tree?

-- Sean Silva