[LLVMdev] Failure building llvm/clang from source using binary clang package on Mageia 2

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Mon Jan 7 22:43:14 PST 2013

On 01/07/2013 08:39 AM, Dmitri Gribenko wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM, Edward Diener
> <eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com> wrote:
>> On Mageia 2 I have installed the binary clang package clang3.0-7. When I
>> tried to build the latest llvm/clang from source using this binary clang
>> I get this error:
>>
>> 1) In file included from
>> /home/mgeldiener/vcs/llvm/lib/Support/Signals.cpp:30:
>> /home/mgeldiener/vcs/llvm/lib/Support/Unix/Signals.inc:32:10: fatal
>> error: 'cxxabi.h' file not found
>> #include <cxxabi.h>
>>          ^
>> llvm[1]: Compiling Statistic.cpp for Debug+Asserts build
>> 1 error generated.
>> gmake[1]: ***
>> [/home/mgeldiener/dev/clang/build/lib/Support/Debug+Asserts/Signals.o]
>> Error 1
>> gmake[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mgeldiener/dev/clang/build/lib/Support'
>> gmake: *** [all] Error 1
>>
>> If I build with gcc, there are no problems.
>
> Hello Edward,
>
> Here's a patch for ./configure that should detect and reject a broken
> clang in your cases.  Could you please apply and test on all platforms
> that you recently sent bug reports about?  You should see a clear
> error from ./configure that the selected compiler is broken.

After applying your patch on Mageia 2 and invoking llvm's configure:

Using clang 3.0 I get:

"checking whether clang works... no
configure: error: Selected compiler could not find or parse C++ standard
library headers.  Rerun with CC=c-compiler CXX=c++-compiler ./configure ..."

Using gcc, there is no error.

After applying your patch on Fedora 17 and invoking llvm's configure:

Using clang 3.0 I get:

"checking whether clang works... no
configure: error: Selected compiler could not find or parse C++ standard
library headers.  Rerun with CC=c-compiler CXX=c++-compiler ./configure ..."

Using gcc, there is no error.

After applying your patch on Suse 12.2 and invoking llvm's configure:

Using clang 3.1, which has previously worked, there is no error.

So it looks to me, based on my tests, that your patch is successful. I
look forward to this update in llvm on subversion. Thanks for your help
on this matter. I will report the broken clang binary installation to
Mageia 2 and Fedora 17.