[LLVMdev] Build Failure

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 13:39:11 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM,  <dag at cray.com> wrote:
> David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM,  <dag at cray.com> wrote:
>>> I'm getting a build failure with -Werror:
>>>
>>> [off-dbg]    : [llvm] /ptmp/dag/llvm/official/llvm/lib/IR/Use.cpp: In member function 'llvm::User* llvm::Use::getUser() const':
>>> [off-dbg] : [llvm]
>>> /ptmp/dag/llvm/official/llvm/lib/IR/Use.cpp:142:14: error: cast from
>>> type 'const llvm::Use*' to type 'llvm::User*' casts away qualifiers
>>> [-Werror=cast-qual]
>>
>> There's little effort to keep the GCC build warning clean,
>
> Why?  It seems like a pertty important compiler to support.

It has some silly warnings (at least in some versions) that we don't
want to workaround/suppress. Arguably we could have the build system
check version information & suppress certain known-bad warnings on
specific GCC versions.

>> We should probably setup a GCC -Werror build bot if we are warning
>> clean for some sufficiently modern version of GCC.
>
> That would be nice.  How can I help move such a thing along?

Honestly we need to cleanup the buildbot infrastructure in general.
That's a work in progress. David Dean's bringing up the new
phase-based build infrastructure & my hope is that we'll use the
transition to a separate buildmaster running that infrastructure as a
chance to hold a higher bar for builders/slaves and take some time to
really assess where/how we'll allocate our build resources, including
things like building with -Werror, C++11, etc.

> This is with 4.7.1, BTW.

& your -Werror build of Clang+LLVM is otherwise clean apart from that?