[LLVMdev] Machine backend plugins?

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 07:12:22 PST 2013

Hello,

(Sorry if this is a FAQ, I did my googling homework and found nothing
though.)

Is it possible to have a machine backend as a plugin in LLVM? My
current reading suggests that no, as some static changes to core are
still required to enumerrate triples, backend types, etc. That info is
apparently for previous versions of LLVM, and I wonder what is a
current state. So, are machine plugins supported and if not, is there
interest/priority in implementing support for them?

I'm asking because over last few releases, LLVM just loses
machine backends, and there're few backends lying around which
are of the form of whole LLVM trees, so it complicates maintenance and
integration of them for people who are not deeply familiar with LLVM.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com