[LLVMdev] Pointer Context Metadata (was: Parallel Loop Metadata)

Nadav Rotem nrotem at apple.com
Mon Feb 18 16:31:39 PST 2013

> Okay. If you'll update your local BBVectorize patches, then we can pull them upstream. Then we'll just need to update the unroller.

If I understand this thread correctly, you want to enable vecorization by telling the BB vectorizer that different operations are independent. I understand your motivation and I agree that this is indeed one way to do vectorization.  However, I don't completely understand something.  If we already have the information that consecutive iterations of the loops are independent, then the loop vectorizer should already vectorize the loop.  Also, at the moment we unroll loops before BB Vectorization. Can you think of cases where the unrolling can help BB-vecoriation ? I think that it can only help in cases that are easily detected by the loop vectorizer.

Thanks,
Nadav