[LLVMdev] JIT on armhf

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Fri Feb 8 06:42:31 PST 2013

On 8 February 2013 14:28, David Given <dg at cowlark.com> wrote:

> Debian's clang packages are totally broken on armhf --- the compiler
> emits a confused warning about the platform being unrecognised, and then
> generates softfloat code --- so I was wondering about LLVM itself.

I'm using Ubuntu on Pandas and Chromebooks and LLVM itself behaves well,
with the right set of command line options. Though, I remember that I also
had hard-float issues when compiling to IR and then to object, but once I
started using the full options that Clang provides by default, things
started working.

Can you paste the result of a "clang -v -mcpu=CPU file.c" on your box? I
want to see what are the arguments and the assembler/linker it's choosing
to use. What CPU are we talking about?

If that works, it's possible that you'll need to set the flags Clang is
doing by default on your front-end, too.

If it makes any difference, I'm not using the just-in-time part of the
> JIT, as it were. I have lazy compilation turned off and have a model
> where the entire script is compiled into IR code and then to machine
> code when my app starts.

This is very similar to what I did in my toy compiler, but I didn't use ARM
at all. However, that should not have made any difference.

cheers,
--renato