[LLVMdev] Parallel Loop Metadata

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Fri Feb 8 05:07:14 PST 2013

On 8 February 2013 05:35, Nadav Rotem <nrotem at apple.com> wrote:

> For example, assumption that the input pointers don't overlap, or that
> dynamic indices are within a certain range that allow us to vectorize.

In this case, I'd prefer metadata on the variables that are assumed not to
alias, like the restrict keyword.

It seems to me that having metadata on the loop basic blocks, since they
can be invalidated, will not help that much with the vectorizer more than
specific annotation on specific values (which are harder to lose). I'm not
saying we should annotate *all* memory instructions on a loop, just the
ones that make sense, or will help the vectorizer default to a sane value.

I'm not a big fan of basic block annotation, unless the BBs are created for
very specific reasons and no pass it allowed to touch it (especially
inliners).

cheers,
--renato