[LLVMdev] Question about changes to llvm::Argument::addAttr(AttributeSet AS) API

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Feb 6 02:42:46 PST 2013

Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> writes:

> Using a development branch and then slamming those changes into trunk
> is at odds with the llvm style incremental development philosophy.

In this case, the LLVM incremental style is counterproductive, for both
users and developers. Who is interested on watching your API going
through intermediate stages and (possibly) experimental points until it
stabilizes?

> Living on ToT isn't easy. No one ever said it would be.

This is no reason for ignoring practices that can improve the
experience.

> The changes that are being complained about have only been happening
> for about a week now.

I have several modifications on my code base that go back until past
June for adapting to changes on the attributes API. But that's not the
point. I'm not thinking about your specific case, but on the general
one.

> And they're more stable day by day.

You are proving my point. It is a waste to use trunk for things that are
considered by the author to be on work-on-progress state. That only
creates noise for both developers and users, without any advantage for
the author. Work on a feature branch and merge the changes when you are
happy with your code.