[LLVMdev] Question about changes to llvm::Argument::addAttr(AttributeSet AS) API

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Feb 6 02:02:13 PST 2013

Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> writes:

[snip]

> Welcome to living on the top-of-tree! :-)
>
> We are in between releases. It's expected that the APIs will be
> unstable. [snip]

One thing is an unstable API, and a different thing is a code base where
an API change is introduced gradually. From the POV of users, the latter
is more like a pre-alpha stage API.

Using development branches would lessen the problem: you work on your
branch until you are happy with the API, then merge the changes into
trunk. When you are the only one working on the task, it is very easy to
do using git-svn.

As for living on the top-of-tree: with the development model of LLVM it
is desirable that as much users as possible work with ToT, because the
bug reports those users contribute. (And, what is the standard response
when somebody finds a bug on a released version? "upgrade to ToT") So
you don't want to scare away people from working with ToT.