[LLVMdev] The MBlaze backend: can we remove it?

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Tue Feb 5 18:19:59 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 04:12:48PM -0800, Reed Kotler wrote:

> >Awesome, happy to wait while you investigate. Thanks for tracking it down.
> >
> There is even qemu support for microblaze.
>
> I think it's excessive to remove a port so easily.
>
> Once you announce that you want to remove it, you should wait at
> least a year.
>
> It may have to wait for funding to be resurrected.
>
> gcc had ports that nobody used for 10 years before they finally
> deleted them.
>
> Reed

+1 for general practice.

If you don't have enough developers to maintain it, then I guess you have
no good options. The gnu tool chain supports it, so it wouldn't be the end
of the world. I'd wait as long as possible, giving interested corporations a
reasonable chance to respond and hire someone. Not sure what a reasonable
time would be under the stated circumstances.

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer