[LLVMdev] Problem with PTX assembly printing (NVPTX backend)

nkavv at physics.auth.gr nkavv at physics.auth.gr
Mon Feb 4 10:09:55 PST 2013

Hi Justin,

>> Has anyone had similar problems with the NVPTX backend? Shouldn't this
>> code be linked to the AsmPrinter library for NVPTX (already)?
>
> What do you mean by "doesn't work"?  The AsmPrinter library really houses
> the MCInst printer, which isn't implemented for NVPTX yet.  The older
> assembly printer works just fine.  This is transparent to users.  The NVPTX
> target can be used just like MIPS and X86 with llc (and library users).
>
> Is llc saying nvptx is an invalid target?  If so, you probably built LLVM
> without NVPTX.

I've used -enable-targets=all, and all libLLVMNVPTX*.a libs were
produced. However, the AsmPrinter one looks dummy.

Further, nvptx appears as a registered target when running llc --version.

llc doesn't complain, but just "runs" forever with apparently no output

>> BTW I've built LLVM with mingw (strange mixture of gcc-3.4.5 and
>> g++-4.6.1). Native compilation, MIPS backend and other things that i've
>> tested, all work properly.
>
> Perhaps this "strange mixture" is causing some symbol errors somewhere.
> Can you post the exact sequence of steps you used to build LLVM, along with
> the llc command-line that fails for you?

My configuration options were:

--prefix=/my/local/path/or/so --enable-shared --enable-targets=all
--enable-optimized --disable-libffi --disable-debug-runtime
--disable-assertions --disable-expensive-checks

Following configuration i did the typical make and make install (to a
selected path by --prefix.

Best regards
Nikolaos Kavvadias