[LLVMdev] Problem with PTX assembly printing (NVPTX backend)

nkavv at physics.auth.gr nkavv at physics.auth.gr
Mon Feb 4 07:46:12 PST 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the newly added (in LLVM 3.2) NVPTX backend for
producing PTX (Parallel Thread eXecution) assembly from simple C
programs.

While using llc with -march for mips and x86 works, -march=nvptx
doesn't work. This seems reasonable since I can see that the
libLLVMNVPTXAsmPrinter.a library is about 500 bytes (thus empty).
However, the strange thing is that AsmPrinter code can be found in the
NVPTX backend directory. I would expect that this code would be
compiled to the corresponding assembly printing library.

Has anyone had similar problems with the NVPTX backend? Shouldn't this
code be linked to the AsmPrinter library for NVPTX (already)?

BTW I've built LLVM with mingw (strange mixture of gcc-3.4.5 and
g++-4.6.1). Native compilation, MIPS backend and other things that
i've tested, all work properly.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,
Nikolaos Kavvadias