[LLVMdev] Build bot fatigue

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sun Dec 29 02:31:14 PST 2013

On 29 December 2013 04:25, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

>  1) Only send direct mail when the recipient is the single name in the
>> blame list.

That would filter out important breakages. I think your option 3 below is
probably the most effective and simplest to implement right now.

An alternative to that would be to filter for the failure's cause (test
failed, file miscompiled, etc) and see if any commit touches that file, and
only send the email to the users that touched any of them. We have all the
info in the page, shouldn't be too hard to grep stuff around...

3) Or even simpler, don't send failure mail from any builders outside the
>> "fast" set? Otherwise the important failures blocking everyone's work get
>> drowned out in the noise.

An option on the bot configuration to send or not an email would do. I
wouldn't separate "fast" from "slow", but "unique" from the rest.

For instance, we have two "fast" bots, on on A15 and one on A9. Of course,
the A15 is faster, and the A9 repeats a few minutes later. I'd want to
receive it only from one of them.

I also have a test-suite bot that doesn't "check-all", so if that fails,
it's either a compilation failure, or it's a test-suite failure, and I
really want to be warned when it breaks.

A further step would be to manage emails by bot type. Fast-unique bots
report everything (compilation, svn, make, tests), while other unique bots
only report their own stuff, so my test-suite bot would not report
compilation failures. The problem with that would be if the compilation
*only* happens on the test-suite bot, and then we'd need an extra layer to
diff between error reports, and that would be massive. I don't expect this
to happen ever.

Finally, I think your comment is also valid for IRC messages, they drive me
crazy... Can we have a separate IRC channel for those messages? Like
llvm-buildbots? Or just stick to email?

cheers,
--renato