[LLVMdev] Making LLVM safer in out-of-memory situations

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Thu Dec 19 09:31:52 PST 2013

On 12/13/13 4:55 AM, Becker, Philipp wrote:
> To increase stability for us we have already moved the main part of the compilation to a separate process that may crash in case of an error without doing much harm, i.e. does not crash the database.
Were there any interesting challenges that arose during this process?
This seems to be an approach many folks are either taking or
considering.  If there are things we could do to make this easier, it
might be worth considering.
> Therefore, we've currently concentrating on specific components that still remain in the database process, such as CodeLoader and VMCore, which is used for emitting IR code. Although, of course, we're also interested in increasing the general stability of the whole llvm w.r.t. error situations.

Understood.  If you have patches that need reviewed, I'd be happy to help.

Philip