[LLVMdev] Debug Info Verifier: should we create a module pass for it?

Manman Ren manman.ren at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 16:26:55 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com>wrote:

> My off the cuff idea here is to make it a module pass, but we'll split the
> verification a bit:
>
> a) IR verification time -
>
> Verify debug metadata attached to instructions (i.e. line information).
> Only check it for structure (i.e. do the various metadata nodes have the
> right number and kind of operands).

It makes things a little complicated by having verification in two places
(IR verifier and the module pass).
The advantage is we can verify more frequently on structures, comparing
against doing this in the module pass.

> b) Module pass -
>
> Walk down from the CUs in the file and verify everything we see.

This is DebugInfoFinder.processModule.

> I think then the only duplication we'll get are methods from classes as
> the context for functions. We'll also need to check the contexts on the
> various metadata operands on the line numbers which is unfortunate as that
> probably involves a separate walk over the instructions,

Yes, we need to walk over the instructions and call the various process
methods of DebugInfoFinder, i.e. moving things related to debug info
verifier from Verifier.cpp to its own module pass.
We can then verify everything stored in DebugInfoFinder, similar to the
current implementation of debug info verifier.

> but then we could cache the information we've already seen.

Not sure what you mean here.

Thanks,
Manman