[LLVMdev] an OS around LLVM

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Dec 18 07:38:00 PST 2013

On 18/12/13 14:15, mindmachine at free.fr wrote:
[...]
> Thanks, I hadn't heard about PNaCl, it's very interesting.
>
> I'm currently swimming in http://llvm.org/docs/ trying to learn more about
> LLVM-IR...

You might also want to go look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_Neutral_Distribution_Format

...which was a pre-LLVM attempt to produce platform-independent binaries
which got translated into native code at install time. The spec was
kinda weird, though.

Also, in a previous life I worked on an operating system known as
intent/Elate, which was a successor to Taos, which was an operating
system entirely based around platform-independent binaries (it could run
on multiprocessor systems where each processor was a different
architecture, for example). Turns out that people don't actually want to
do that, which is why the company went bust and I now work on something
else...

│ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming
│ language in which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." ---
│ Flon's Axiom