[LLVMdev] Intrinsics __readeflags and __writeeflags

Alexey Volkov avolkov.intel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 03:03:35 PST 2013

These intrinsics are introduced for compatibility purposes.
Besides MSVC GCC also supports it in its main trunk; ICC supports it on
Windows and is going to support in the next version on Linux.

2013/12/18 Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at britannica.bec.de>

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 01:05:10PM -0800, David Majnemer wrote:
> > This intrinsic seems very ill-defined, apparently it can be freely
> > reordered and does _not_ act like a compiler barrier. [1]
> > Other than source compatibility, why would one want this intrinsic?  What
> > semantics is it supposed to give?
>
> Even more, why can't it just be defined as inline function in some
> header?

Does it mean that I can use inline assembler instead of implementing
compiler intrinsic?

> Joerg

Alexey Volkov
Intel Corporation