[LLVMdev] Implementing the ldr pseudo instruction in ARM integrated assembler

David Peixotto dpeixott at codeaurora.org
Tue Dec 17 12:00:11 PST 2013

> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > Thanks for the review. It seems like you were looking at an old patch.
> > I've attached the latest patches to this email (and a squashed version
> > of all three for easy reading). I believe many of your concerns were
> > addressed. See below for a detailed response.
> >
> Ack! Sorry about that. That would certainly explain some of my confusion.
> I suspect some (mis)threading of emails got in the way. Thanks again for
> your patience working through this.

Yes there were a number of patches spread out over a period of time. I am
close to getting permission to use phabricator which should help alleviate
this problem in the future.

> >> Likewise, there shouldn't be any need to output an object file. Just
> >> checking the .s output from the asm streamer should be sufficient
> >> here.
> >
> > I deliberately used an object file test because I wanted to make sure
> > that the correct offsets and relocations were being generated.
> > Additionally, some error tests require object code emission (to find
> > out the constant pool offset is too far away). If you feel strongly
> > that they should be converted to asm streamer tests I will do it.
>
> A bit of both. I feel strongly that there should be tests that don't emit
> to object files, but do agree that there's value to checking object as
> well (for the range checking in particular). In particular, the asm
> streamer tests can probably be platform independent, or at least close.
> The object file tests obviously cannot. For the relocations, is there
> something specific about the code generated here that tests those in ways
> that existing relocation tests don't cover? I would have expected that
> part to be totally generic, as the pseudo is just a syntactic convenience
> after all and not expressing anything that can't already be written in a
> .s file without the construct.

I wrote the tests before I did the actual implementation and I thought I
would be generating the relocations myself. The implementation turned out to
be much simpler than I imagined and I was able to lean on the existing
support for generating relocations and fixups. I expect all these
relocations would be covered by other tests.

I think we still would need separate tests for darwin/linux because the
syntax for creating sections (for example) is different.

One option is to leave the object test for the errors (out of range fixup)
and switch to asm tests for the others.