[LLVMdev] lit: deprecating trailing \ in RUN lines

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Tue Dec 10 14:15:07 PST 2013

On Dec 10, 2013, at 1:43 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <Chuck.Caldarale at unisys.com> wrote:

>> From: llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu [mailto:llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu]
>> On Behalf Of Alp Toker
>> Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] lit: deprecating trailing \ in RUN lines
>
>> //\
>> int x=0;
>
>> $ gcc-4.9 -fsyntax-only f.c
>
> Try gcc with -Wall, and you'll see the appropriate warning.  Also try the MS compiler after removing the trailing space after the backslash; I don't have one available to play with, so I don't know if it makes any difference.

Doh. I missed the trailing space. That makes it a bit odd, to say the least. If we have any files with that construct in it, we should totally just run a regex over them to fix it. That’s just broken.

This would also totally have been prevented if we had a post-commit hook to strip trailing whitespace. </trollchris>