[LLVMdev] Update on OpenMP support in clang / llvm

Andrey Bokhanko andreybokhanko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 05:40:14 PST 2013

Hi All,

This is a short summary of news and new developments related to OpenMP
support in clang / llvm:

* ANL (1) and Pathscale contributed OpenMP patch re-based from clang trunk
(original version of the patch is based on clang 3.3 release). This is
currently under code review, and will be committed to a separate
repository: https://github.com/clang-omp/clang_trunk. Kudos to Hal Finkel,
Chris Bergström and everyone from ANL and Pathscale who worked on this!

* OpenMP consortium added clang to the list of OpenMP-enabled compilers:
http://openmp.org/wp/openmp-compilers/. Obviously, as OpenMP patch still
hasn't been committed to clang trunk, the link goes to clang-omp.github.com.

* Jim Cownie from Intel delivered a talk on "OpenMP in Clang / LLVM" during
recent Supercomputing'13 conference. Video of the talk is available on
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TIOB-0xwek

* We (Intel) contributed support for the following new features of OpenMP 4
standard:
- omp simd pragma
- omp declare reduction pragma
- proc_bind clause

This was contributed by two Intel engineers -- Alexey Bataev and Alexander
Musman and committed to clang-omp.github.com.

* Alexey Bataev contributed support for usage of variable length arrays in
openmp constructs. Again, the code committed to clang-omp.github.com.

* Texas Instruments expressed strong interest in collaborating on advancing
support of OpenMP 4 in clang / llvm. Currently we are discussing on how we
can work effectively together. We intend to continue to work in open
manner, putting all new developments on clang-omp.github.com (and
eventually to clang / llvm trunk, as soon as code for basic infrastructure
support will be accepted there).

(1): Obviously, I can't speak for other people; thus, this is just my
recollection of events. Hal, Chris and TI guys -- please correct me if I
got something wrong.

Yours,
Andrey Bokhanko
Software Engineer