[LLVMdev] Recent Commits by Tim Northover

Gary Fuehrer gfuehrer at defiant-tech.com
Wed Dec 4 14:12:23 PST 2013

On 12/4/2013 12:42 AM, Tim Northover wrote:
 > Hi Gary,
 >
 > On 3 December 2013 22:01, Gary Fuehrer <gfuehrer at defiant-tech.com> wrote:
 >> Islands are not being placed within range of a near LDR. They only
appear
 >> between functions. (It seemed to me like ARMConstanIslandPass was not
 >> being used to make them.)
 >
 > That's a very worrying bug, and shouldn't be happening at all. Do you
 > have a .ll test-case you can show us?

I have a large number of instances in my firmware, so I'll work at
producing an .ll test-case. But first I'll get smart about what you said
concerning elf -- I had been using -target arm-none-eabi. I just tried
arm-elf-eabi and that had almost no effect (but an 'interesting' one
nonetheless). But I don't know yet if that triple (or quad) supplies the
necessary elf-ness.

 >> Tim's other commit was about stack adjustment folding. So, Tim, did
you see
 >> the treads with Andrea Mucignat back in October?
 >
 > It rings some bells, but I wasn't paying much attention. I think she
 > did get knowledgeable help; nothing in the thread jumps out as wrong.
 > It looks like a reasonable goal, but as Renato said, should be
 > considered carefully. It's a nasty area of the compiler and has
 > knock-on effects.

Thank you for double checking. And for the caution -- I was inclined to
look into this one but now I know that it's contraindicated against
noobieness.

- Gary