[LLVMdev] conflicting c++ libs for building dragonegg

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 30 12:42:55 PDT 2013

On 30 Aug 2013, at 19:42, Duncan Sands <baldrick at free.fr> wrote:

> First off, is libc++ supposed to be incompatible with
> libstdc++?

libc++ does not, and never had, ABI compatibility with libstdc++ as a goal.  Actually, libstdc++ periodically breaks ABI compatibility too, as we have recently found in the FreeBSD ports tree with certain projects requiring a newer libstdc++ than the one we ship in the base system.  On OS X and FreeBSD 10, libc++ are the default STL implementations and so LLVM / clang / anything that doesn't explicitly request something else will be compiled with libc++.  If DragonEgg doesn't compile with libc++, then it can not invoke any LLVM methods that take as arguments or return STL types without causing ABI-incompatibility problems.

David