[LLVMdev] Address space extension

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 16:26:12 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Pete Cooper <peter_cooper at apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2013, at 2:07 PM, Matt Arsenault <Matthew.Arsenault at amd.com>
> wrote:
>
>  On 08/07/2013 01:52 PM, Michele Scandale wrote:
>

> IMHO this information should be a plus that could be *safely* ignored when
> not necessary and used where it can provide an improvement in
> optimizations. This does not necessary mean the the middle-end (and the
> back-ends) must be aware of the semantic of these logical address spaces,
> it would be enough just to distinguish between two logically different
> address spaces.
> The first application I see is alias analysis: for targets that do not
> have different physical address spaces (e.g. X86), meaning that in the IR
> the 'addrspace' modifier *should* not be present, the knowledge that two
> pointers refers to different logical address spaces (e.g. OpenCL address
> spaces) can be used to decide the aliasing.
>

>  There was this patch from a long time ago that never went in to use the
> address spaces for alias analysis:
>
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20111010/129728.html
>
> The decision seems to be that LLVM addrspaces aren't required to not
> alias. I was thinking of following the suggestion to make the datalayout
> contain which address spaces can / cannot alias. Alternatively, the tbaa
> metadata might be appropriate for this, but I haven't looked at how that
> works.
>
> I haven’t thought about using TBAA metadata, but I think some form of
> metadata would be useful here.
>
> In the clang discussion (
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-commits/Week-of-Mon-20130715/084083.html)
> you noted that address space 3 could be considered constant.  This is a
> very useful piece of information in itself, and is something we should have
> in the metadata.
>
> I don’t know if CUDA has aliasing address spaces, but that would also be
> useful to consider.  Something simple like this might work.  Note i’m using
> the examples from the clang discussion, that is "1 = opencl/cuda global, 2
> = opencl_local/cuda_shared, 3 = opencl/cuda constant"

Yes, CUDA does have aliasing address spaces, but that is captured in your
tree below.  The generic address space (0) can represent addresses in the
shared and global (local and global in OpenCL terms) address spaces.

> !address_spaces = !{!0, !1, !2, !3}
>
> ; Address space tuple.  { address space number, parent address space,
> additional properties }
> !0 = metadata !{ i32 0, !{}, !{} }
> !1 = metadata !{ i32 1, !0, !{} }
> !2 = metadata !{ i32 2, !0, !{} }
> !3 = metadata !{ i32 3, !0, !4 }
>
> !4 = metadata !{ “constant” }
>

> This corresponds to 3 address spaces which all are members of address
> space 0, but which otherwise do not alias each other.  I think this is
> roughly how TBAA does things.  You can introduce any nodes in the tree of
> address spaces you need to make children in the tree alias each other.
>
> Additionally, the last address space is marked as constant which could be
> used for optimization, e.g. LICM.
>
> The alternative to this is to put everything in LLVM code itself.
>  Personally I think metadata is better, but were it hard coded in the LLVM
> code i wouldn’t argue against it.

Perhaps I'm just missing the context of the cfe-dev thread, but are these
representing the target-dependent address spaces in the IR, or a
language-specific address space mapping that is used to annotate the IR?

> Thanks,
> Pete

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski