[LLVMdev] Assorted notes on garbage collection with LLVM

Manuel Jacob me at manueljacob.de
Fri Aug 2 15:55:22 PDT 2013

Hi Mike,

On 2013-08-02 18:26, Michael Lewis wrote:
> I've been working recently on a precise garbage collector which runs
> alongside native code JITted by LLVM. Today marks the first time the
> GC has passed its entire test suite as well as extensive soak tests in
> non-trivial programs.

I'm glad to hear that you solved the issues you described in your last
mail. How did you solve them? Was that because of the stack-coloring
bug?

There are some things in the code linked to in the Wiki page I do not
understand yet.

Where do the negative stack offsets come from? The stack root walking
code
in my project doesn't need to check for negative stack offsets.

What are bookmarks?

What's the purpose of the TriggerGarbageCollection function?

Have you considered using a hash map in GarbageWorker() that maps safe
points to lists of GCRoots? I think this would simplify the code and
reduce
the overhead of stack root walking.

Are you interested in improving the code generator's support for
garbage
collection? I posted some thoughts in a mail with the Subject "New
ideas
about how to improve garbage collection support". That would also solve
the
stack-coloring bug.

-Manuel