[LLVMdev] Coding Standards: Iterator begin and end functions.

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 13:56:54 PDT 2013

One exception we have in the coding standard is that classes that look
like STL ones should use similar names for the methods (begin(),
push_back(), etc...).

But different parts of llvm have different opinions on how to handle
the related case of classes that are not STL like, but have multiple
collections that can be iterated over.

* llvm/IR uses global_begin, alias_begin, etc. I.E., singular name + _begin().
* llvm/Object uses begin_symbols, begin_sections, etc. I.E, begin_ +
plural name.
* others (YAML, LoopIterator) use beginSequence, beginFlowSequence, etc.

I would like to propose adding the the format used by llvm/IR to the
coding standard since it seems to be the most common.

Cheers,
Rafael